Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Commited to Myself

Its amazing how many things we commit to over a lifetime.  A style, a person, a sorority, school, work, church, blogs, we are obsessed with pledging our loyalty. 

On a day out with one of my J-Crew (Not the store) lovelies, a man asked her about her relationship status and she replied, as only she would, "the only thing I'm committed to is myself."  Upon hearing her I snickered because it was such a brazen statement. 

But after some reflection, I began to think about how awesome that is, to be truly committed to yourself.  Imagine all of the things you could do if you made a commitment to yourself.  Imagine how great you would treat yourself and how happy you would be.  Seriously, think about it for a second.  I'm in a relatively new relationship (2 yrs on Dec. 31st) and I look at all of the things I am more than willing to do for this other person that I have comitted to.   Even at work, I will stay as late as necessary to make sure the task gets done. Yet when I get home, that same drive disapears when it comes time to workout.  I'm starting to think my priorities may be a little off.

So I have decided to commit to myself.  It doesn't mean I'm going to love anyone any less, but it does mean I am going to love myself more.  Hopefully as a result of loving me more and first, I will be able to add more love, dedication, and positivity to my other commitments.     I am asking (read:forcing) my mom to also join in this effort.  She is the epitome of commiting to everyone else but herself.   I hope that we can find it in ourselves to commit to putting ourselves first.

....TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment