Monday, July 30, 2012

Breaking Badd (not a mispelling)

Due to my lack of cable (Sorry Cablevision, you are not in a law student's budget), a majority of my "tv time" consists of good ol' Netflix.  I have taken up an obsession with Breaking Bad.  For those that are noto familiar.  Breaking Bad is a series about a high school science teacher, who after being diagnosed with cancer, decides that he needs a way of ensuring his family is finanacially stable post demise.  So, he 'breaks bad' and becomes a drug chef.    The entire series is absolutely entertaining and obviously addicting since it is 3:41 AM and I am still watching it.

Anywhoo, I could not help but to ponder how that feels (sans the drug chef part).  How does it feel to break out of all the metaphorical chains that bound us to 'our lives' and daily routines?  Often times these chains keep us in places way longer than we need to be or hold us back from reaching the stars. 
I passed on an opportunity that many tell me I am supposed to do because it looks good.  I beat myself up about it all day.  But I have found peace with it tonight.  I passed on it because obviously it was not important to me, I would have been doing it to satisfy everyone else and I cannot do that any longer.  My life has been about appeasing the masses and unfortunately I just couldn't do it anymore.  Now with every decision, you have to deal with the repercussions and since I am not a fortune teller, I do not know what those repercussions may be.  I may have to work a little harder or I may miss out on other opportunities down the road as a result of my decision today, but that's the risk I took.  Is this a huge chain that I have broken? Probably not.  Honestly maybe procrastination and stubborness aided in this moment.  But it's a moment I am happy with.
In Breaking Bad, it took a death sentence to get Walt to break free from the expected and accepted.  But that doesn't have to be our saga.  Take the chains off, break free, spread your wings and SOAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment